Expert Legal Support for
Federal and state law protects Texas employees from employer discrimination based on certain characteristics such as race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, and disability. If you or a loved one has suffered discrimination, have received unfair treatment, or have been retaliated against by an employer in the state of Texas, the expert legal team at Guerra Law Firm, P.C. will protect your rights and get you the justice you deserve. Our law firm in McAllen, TX specializes in employment discrimination claims and will represent you with the highest level of legal representation throughout the duration of your case.
What is Employment Discrimination
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, employment discrimination generally exists where an employer treats an applicant or employee less favorably merely because of a person’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. It may also occur if an employer disciplines, terminates, or takes unfavorable actions against an employee or job applicant for discussing, disclosing, or asking about pay and compensation. Employment discrimination can be against a single person or a group of people.
What Are My Rights
You have the right to work in an environment free of discrimination. You cannot be denied employment, harassed, demoted, terminated, paid less, or treated less favorably because of your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. You also have the right to discuss, disclose, or inquire about your pay, the pay of your co-workers, and the pay offered to job applicants.
How Do I Know If I Am Being Discriminated Against?
- Assigning all Hispanic employees to a particular work area
- Paying women less than men for the same work
- Teasing employees who speak with an accent that goes beyond occasional or a single incident
- Promoting only certain employees based on their sex or race
- Requiring tests, like math tests or lifting requirements, that are not related to doing the job but that screen out applicants of particular groups
- Denying paid sick leave to female employees recovering from childbirth but allowing paid sick leave for employees recovering from knee surgery
- Firing an employee for discussing her pay with a co-worker
Standing Up for Your Employment Rights
When you trust your claim to Guerra Law Firm, P.C., you’ll be enlisting a law firm with decades of experience representing those who have suffered from employment discrimination. Contact us today to learn more about our services and to schedule a free consultation.